Friday, February 5, 2010

First Pilates Class

I have been going to my gym since 2003.  I usually just work by myself and do my workouts, which consist of both cardio and strength training.  I attended a couple classes a few years ago, but found them quite challenging considering the limitations of my exercise tolerance due to my congenital heart condition.

I have looked in on the classes from a spot out on the gym floor and often wondered if I had the capacity to participate… perhaps I wanted to feel a sense of belonging or just wanting to try new things to change it up a bit, but I never did…. until today!

I always see Jo around the gym.  She is one of the fitness instructors there and she has a killer body.  I ran into her the other day and asked her about her classes.  I explained to her my physical limitations and she encouraged me to try… assuring me that I can stop when I’ve had enough or modify the exercises so they are within my tolerance.

So this morning I went into the class ( I made sure to announce to everyone that I was a newbie – LOL).  Of course the only place left for me to set up was front and center of the whole class.  I was hoping not everyone’s eyes would be on me.  I had no clue what I was doing.  The first 30 minutes of the class was called “Step and Sculpt”.  Just a small step with a couple of 2 pound hand weights…  doesn’t seem so daunting, does it?

A full 30 minutes of constant movement, I was sweating, I was breathing really hard… I did have to stop a few times and catch my breath, but, I got through it, and that made me feel proud of myself.

pilates1
The next 60 minutes was a Pilates class.  Some of the ladies left and I wondered if I should make a dash for the door and call it a day, but I really wanted to try the Pilates, so I stayed.  I did however, move my mat to the back of the class. 

The Pilates is all about stretching and muscle control.  The program focuses on the core postural muscles.  These muscles provide support for your spine and help keep your body balanced.  Perfect – my core is my weak spot… and I am sure my spine could use some help.  (I have scoliosis). 

I enjoyed the class, but it wasn’t easy, that is for sure.  When you are consistently stretching and moving one area of your body for about 3 to 4 minutes, it really starts to hurt.  I kept telling myself “push through the pain Kim, push through the pain”.

In the end, it was totally worth it.  I am glad that I went and tried the classes.  Will I feel the same way tomorrow?  LOL!  I will let you know!

Bottom line, if you never step out and try new things, you will never know what you can accomplish.  I say “Just Do It!”
kims_name

No comments: