Monday, February 22, 2010

Patience… goes along way in a Poker Tourney!

Every Sunday afternoon Poker Stars hosts the Sunday 1/4 Million Tourney.  It is a very large tournament, a lot of people enter it because it only costs $11.00 to play, and if you finish at the final table you can make $1000’s.

I won a seat in yesterdays tourney on a $2.20 Satellite Tournament that I had won on Saturday.  I was pretty happy about getting into the tournament cheaply. 

36,306 entrants in it.  I knew, if I played well and had some good cards along the way, I could be in it for a while.  So I went ahead and prepared dinner, early in the afternoon, so that the family could eat whenever they got hungry.  During these multi – table tournaments you get a 5 minute break each hour. 

I did get some good cards at key times.  I laid down some good hands at key points and I think played the best poker I have ever played.  I managed a 28th place finish.

28th out of 36,306 entrants… that in itself is a feat.  With a prize pool close of $363,000, I made the best cash I have ever made on Poker Stars.  I was thrilled.  Well, still am..  :)

It took 7 1/2 hours for my tournament run to come to an end.  I stayed patient, focused and disciplined along the way.  In the end, with a short stack and looking down at JJ.. I decided to throw all my remaining chips in.  It was the right thing to do.  This starting hand is a better than 3 to 1 favourite from any random hand.  I got a call from one player who was holding Q8.  However, he flopped an 8 and rivered a Queen, which ended my run. 

pocket-jacks

I know that I didn’t go out on a mistake… just luck of the cards!

Now, if I could only convince Poker Pro and fellow Canadian Daniel Negreanu to coach me a little, my dreams of playing in the WSOP might be a little closer to reality… wink wink!  ;)

smileystarHave an Amazing Day!

kimsname

No comments: