Sunday, February 7, 2010

A Miracle Happened… 19 years ago today!

When I first found out I was pregnant, we were very happy, yet extremely anxious at the same time.  I had been told during my teenage years that I would never be able to carry a baby to term, given my severe and complex heart condition.

I arrived at the Toronto General Hospital Special Pregnancy Unit for a consultation at 10 weeks.  The doctors suggested that I terminate the pregnancy, because it was so risky for me. 

I guess even at that stage a mother’s instinct kicks in.  I just knew that everything would be okay.  I had this miracle growing inside me, now it was up to God and a special medical team to see it through.  I told them that termination was not an option.  I would do anything and go through anything to have this child.

Once my doctors knew that I understood the risks, they were more than happy to support me through to the end.  I was a challenge for them and they loved it.  Dr. Mathew Sermer was my OBGYN and Dr. Jack Colman was my cardiologist.  They both had specialities in high risk pregnancies in cardiac patients.

At 20 weeks I was admitted to Hospital where I would stay on bed rest and oxygen therapy for the duration of my pregnancy.  That was on Dec 3, 1990.  I spent that Christmas in the Hospital.

They told me my baby would be smaller than average.. that I could not sustain a full weight baby because she wasn’t getting enough oxygen and that she would more than likely come early.

They were right.  At 26 weeks, I developed a hole in my amniotic sac and starting having contractions.  Fortunately the contractions did not turn into full labour.  They kept taking me down to the labour and delivery floor, and then back up to my room.  This went on for two weeks and I finally said “why don’t you just leave me in the elevator?”  LOL!

At the beginning of the third week of Braxton Hicks contractions, they decided to leave me in labour and delivery so that I could have my own nurse.  I remember her, her name was Jane.  She brought me in a TV from home.  I was not to get out of bed except to go to the bathroom. 

On Thursday Feb 7th I woke up and had my breakfast.  The contractions seemed like they did every other day.  I was getting used to them at this point.  Dr. Sermer came in that morning to check on me.  On that morning he found that I was 3 cm dilated and he could feel the baby’s foot coming out.  She was breach.  This was a problem.  She was too small. 

I was only 29 weeks pregnant.  She was tiny and hadn’t developed enough to be delivered naturally.  Plus they were extremely concerned about me.  They initiated an Emergency C- Section to be performed in The Cardiac O/R.  (Afterwards I was told there was a team of 30 in the room for this delivery).

Chantelle was born at 10:35 am that morning 19 years ago.  She weighed just 2 lbs and she was 13” long.  I was put to sleep for the delivery and sent to recovery afterwards.  They rushed her to the NICU to prepare her to be taken to Sick Kids across the road. 

Before they took her to Sick Kids, they brought her to me in the recovery room.  She was in an incubator.  She had a little tiny pink hat on… and tubes everywhere… well we both did.  But, all I could see was her tiny little pink face, she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.

chan2
I got to hold her for the first time on Feb 14, 1991. 
Valentines Day!
chan1
She is our miracle baby!  Today she turns 19 and is in her first year of University at Trent.  She graduated with honours from Grade 12 last June.  I won’t tell you what she weighs now, cause she’d kill me… but needless to say, she has gained a few pounds.  LOL.  She has played soccer for 10 years and is a very talented writer. Not too bad for such meagre beginnings!

I am always reminding her that “Great Things Come in Tiny Packages”, and she is definitely proof of that!

chan4 chan3
We Love You Chantelle! 
heart

No comments: